Beach cleanups, recycling bins, and reusable shopping bags all have important roles to play in reducing and cleaning up plastic waste. These efforts are incredibly important, and we love that countless organizations, community groups, and individuals across Canada are undertaking them.
Yet, to maximize the impact of these efforts, we must change our laws, policies, and societal norms to tackle the fundamental drivers of pollution. This means incentivizing the use of plastic alternatives, making polluters responsible for the waste they produce, and banning outright the most harmful components and types of plastics.
This is one of the big reasons why Hyphen has become a corporate partner of Environmental Defence, Canada’s leading environmental advocacy organization, as part of our membership with 1% for the Planet.
Why Environmental Defence
We’ve committed to donating 1% of our annual sales to environmental organizations with direct-action agendas related to pollution and a commitment to long-term change. There are so many incredible environmental organizations doing inspiring work, so choosing where to direct our donations was challenging.
In the end, we chose Environmental Defence for 3 key reasons:
- They work on big-picture policy issues.
- They use science, facts, and education to advocate for change.
- They achieve a positive, real-world impact on the well-being of our environment.
Driving Real Change Through Advocacy & Action
The Environmental Defence team digs into the root causes of pollution – and other environmental challenges – to understand the issues and pursue solutions that address the fundamentals.
This means a lot of research, education, and advocacy. It means partnering with government, industry, and individuals to work together toward better outcomes. It means raising awareness so we can make informed, science-based decisions. And when required, it also means petitioning policymakers and participating in legal challenges to make real change happen.
Less Talk. Take Action!
The Environmental Defence team’s positive impact is powered by hundreds of thousands of supporters across Canada who believe in their mission to defend clean water, a safe climate, and healthy communities. Here’s how you can also get involved:
- Get informed by exploring the Environmental Defence website and joining their mailing list.
- Take part in one of their many online actions and community initiatives covering environmental hot topics across Canada.
- Consider making a monetary donation to Environmental Defence. Donations received by December 31st will be matched by the Environmental Defence board, so now is a great time to double your impact.
At Hyphen, we believe that when you find the right partners, focus your efforts for maximum impact, and dare to take action, real change is possible. Our team is ecstatic to continue our journey of being a responsible company with 1% for the Planet and Environmental Defence!
Photography by: Kent Keeler